Despite its sign claiming a construction date of 1874, this commercial building was actually built around 1900. The building is especially notable for its stylistic decorative elements, features not seen on the simpler, wood buildings that populate the commercial district along Front Street today. In its early days, this building featured a two-story porch and housed an office and barber shop on its lower floor. The building was later home to the Fairplay Drug Store for many years. The lower level porch has been enclosed and an addition constructed in the mid-1900s. Today the building serves as a private residence and commercial space.
One of two monuments in Fairplay commemorating the venerable burros that served miners in the Mosquito Range, this particular monument is dedicated to a burro named Prunes. Legend has it that Prunes worked most of the mines in the Mosquito Range and was so loyal to the miners that they could send him down the mountain for supplies by simply attaching a shopping list to his harness. Prunes was beloved by the people of Fairplay and after falling ill during a blizzard was nursed back to relative health by the townspeople. When Prunes died in 1930, this monument was erected to honor the burro and is still maintained by citizens of Fairplay. The importance of the burro is celebrated each year during the annual Burro Days burro race, which has been occurring since 1948.